The Arts Council

  • artcouncil

Place Category: SHOP Gainesville Square

Profile
Profile
Photos
Map
Reviews
Related Listing
  • The Arts Council (former Railroad Depot) was built in 1914 as one of the only two-story railroad passenger stations in northeast Georgia. The building operated as a passenger station for the Jefferson and Southern Railroad until its purchase by the Gainesville Midland Railroad. In the 1940’s passenger service began to wane and the facility was converted into a freight depot. It was a working freight depot for the Gainesville Midland Railroad and later under CSX Railroad until its purchase by the Arts Council in 1992. The Arts Council renovated the original structure and with the help of architect Garland Reynolds added two additional buildings. Additions were made to the depot to give it a grand entrance with beveled glass doors and crystal chandelier. To honor one of the major benefactors of the Arts Council, this facility was renamed from The Arts Council Depot to the Arts Council Smithgall Arts Center.

  • No Records Found

    Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

    Google Map Not Loaded

    Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.

  • Leave a Review