Let’s work together to keep Lake Lanier open this spring and summer!
With social distancing and shelter in place orders in effect across Georgia there can be some confusion about what activities are okay to participate in while other are not allowed. Here at Lake Lanier the U S Army Corps of Engineers is working closely with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources to help keep our lake a safe place to ride out the pandemic, but they can’t do it without your help. Boaters and park goers must adhere to the guidelines of social distancing or else face fines and potentially the complete closure of our lake for public use. Let’s work together by staying apart during this pandemic. We appreciate your support to help keep the lake open.
Here are some details on the rules during the pandemic crisis:
Things You Need to Know Before Coming to Lake Lanier for Recreation
- Select boat ramps, fishing, hiking, camping, and trails will remain accessible to the general public.
- Boating is allowed under the Shelter in Place order as long as you are with family members who live in the same home and have no more than 10 people on your vessel. Click HERE for a list of OPEN parks.
- Don Carter State Park is currently open; they have closed the picnic shelters, restrooms and playgrounds.
- DNR will be patrolling the water to enforce social distancing orders.
- DNR will be stopping boats with more than 10 people on the boat or if boats are TIED UP together.
- You are NOT ALLOWED TO TIE UP BOATS for parties or gatherings.
- Boats may be anchored 6ft apart of one another, but they must not be tied together.
- DNR has a toll-free tip line to report violations: call 1-800-241-4113
- The State of GA is not closing any boat ramps at the moment. This could change if the public does not adhere to established social distancing orders.
- Beaching of boats on islands is allowed as long as there are not more than 10 people in a group (everyone must reside in the same house)
- If you arrive at a park and the gate is locked, the park is CLOSED.
- PLEASE DO NOT park in front of closed park gates. Law enforcement will tow your vehicle.
- The U S Army Corps of Engineers at Lake Lanier maintains a facebook page where they will post updates on park availability and closures HERE.
- All events (including fishing tournaments) approved through the Corps have been cancelled through April.
- Fishing guides must also practice social distancing orders.